440 Princeton-Hightstown Road
Captain Rescarrick Moore (1755-1835) and his wife Sarah built this impressive Federal-style home between 1795 and 1815. "Moodyfield " was the largest home of its kind in the township, boasting four interior end chimneys. The massive columns of the Colonial Revival porch were added by Arthur and Alice Applegate, who owned the farm from 1952 to 1985.
The Rescarrick's called their home "Moodyfield" in honor of the Captain's great-grandmother, Mary Rescarrick, nee Mudie. It was Mary Mudie and her husband George Rescarrick, Sr. who bought this four hundred acre farm from Thomas Gordon in 1702. Rather than moving here, Mary arid George continued to live in Cranbury where they ran a tavern. The first member of the Rescarrick family to live here was their granddaughter Mary, who moved to the farm after she wed Henry Moore in 1747. The Moore's lived in a small house on the eastern side of the firm where their son Rescarrick was born.
Rescarrick left the farm to enlist in the Middlesex County militia during the Revolutionary War. He fought in several battles, such as the Battle of Monmouth and the Battle of Connecticut Farms. After the war, he reenlisted in the militia of Middlesex County and fought in Pennsylvania to quell the Whiskey Rebellion (1794). He was elected captain of the militia in January', 1800.
Besides serving in the military of his new country and managing his farm, Captain Rescarrick also play a prominent role in Fast Windsor government. During the 1790's, he opened a tavern in which he hosted the first township meeting. In the 1820's, the Captain presided at East Windsor's annual township meetings and served as the Judge of Elections.
Captain Rescarrick's children and grandchildren continued his tradition of public service. His son Henry A Moore served on the Township Committee from 1825 to 1830. His daughter Elizabeth wed Dr. Charles McChesney, New Jersey's Secretary of State under four successive governors. His grandson Rescarrick Moore Smith served as New Jersey State Treasurer from 1853 to 1865.