The East Windsor Garbage District includes all parts of East Windsor Township, except those private communities which provide for their own solid waste and recycling services. These private communities are: Twin Rivers, Windsor Regency, Windsor Mill, Georgetowne, Northgate (The Orchard), Westfield Road, Stonegate, and Riviera.
Household Garbage curbside pick-up is divided into two routes. Each route is picked up twice per week. Route 1 is picked up on Mondays and Thursdays. Route 2 is picked up on Tuesdays and Fridays. The scheduled route and associated days for your street are shown on the Street Index.
Rules and Procedures
Please allow us to remind you of a few regulations on household garbage service:
- Garbage may not be placed at curbside before 9:00 p.m. the night before scheduled pickup and must be at curbside by 7:00 a.m. the day of pickup. Empty cans must be removed from curbside by 9:00 p.m. the day of collection.
- The weight of each trash bag or can may not exceed 50 pounds. Garbage Cans may not exceed 32 gallons and must have removable lids. Please help us in this area. Oversize cans and even regular 32 gallon cans can get heavy very quickly depending on density of the contents. Please give us the courtesy of testing the weight of your cans. If it feels too heavy, please use another can or bag! Injury to Township employees costs tax dollars. Overweight cans or bags may not be picked up. In such cases, a notice of violation will be left on your can, and the load must be redistributed into containers of less than 50 pounds each.
- Please check the integrity of your cans. Cans with jagged sharp or cut edges, rotted bottoms, and/or no handles are safety hazards . Please replace unsafe cans. For severe cases, a notice of violation will be left, and the unsafe can must be removed from service.
- Household garbage should contain trash only . Please remember our community goals for reducing amount of solid waste through use of recycling. The cost to taxpayers for recycling is much less than for garbage sent to the landfill. Refer to the recycling section for a complete list of items that are recyclable in East Windsor Township.
- Please do not put out trash or other items in cardboard boxes . Cardboard boxes are a recyclable item and cannot be taken with household trash, or used as a container. This will result in the box being left at curbside.
- Under no circumstances should household trash contain hazardous waste items . This will result in your trash container being left curbside and could result in further action. Please refer to the "Other Disposal Services" section for information.
- Do not place full or part full paint cans in with your trash. Paint containers leak when compacted and drain unto the ground leaving unsightly residues on our streets.
There is no trash pick-up on the following Holidays:
- Monday, January 1 – New Year’s Day
- Monday, January 15 – Martin Luther King Day
- Monday, February 19 – Presidents Day
- Monday, May 28 – Memorial Day
- Wednesday, July 4 – Independence Day
- Monday, September 3 – Labor Day
- Monday, October 8 – Columbus Day
- Thursday, November 22 – Thanksgiving
- Friday, November 23 – Thanksgiving Friday
- Tuesday, December 25 – Christmas Day
If your pick-up day falls on one of these days, your garbage will be picked up on your next regular pickup date.
Emergency Disruptions to Garbage Collection
Garbage collection may be disrupted by emergency situations. Snowfall or equipment problems are possible causes of such disruptions. Garbage District vehicles and crews are part of the Township's snow removal team and this has historically been the only cause of disruption in collection of garbage. East Windsor Township will make every effort to collect garbage immediately after any disruption caused by emergency situations or as soon as crews have rested after prolonged snow operations. For up to date information on disruptions to garbage collection, please check the Township website homepage and sign up for E-News.
When garbage collection is disrupted by emergencies, leave your trash at the curb. It will be collected by additional crews later in the same day or as soon as possible thereafter. Please do not put trash in the street during snow emergencies as it impedes proper plowing and frequently becomes scattered when hit by snow from the plows.
Bulk material consists of mattresses, furniture, scrap wood, doors, windows (no broken glass allowed), fencing, non-metal shelving, and other large-sized objects or objects too heavy (more than 50 lbs) for household trash.
Bulk goods curbside pick-up is divided into 4 different areas. Pick-up is done on Wednesdays only .
- Bulk area #1 is picked up on the first Wednesday of every month.
- Bulk area #2 is picked up on the second Wednesday of every month.
- Bulk area #3 is picked up on the third Wednesday of the month.
- Bulk area #4 is picked up on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
CAUTION: A common error made by residents whose bulk is collected on the 4th Wednesday of each month is to put out their bulk on the last Wednesday of each month. This is not correct! Certain months have 5 Wednesdays. Be sure to put out bulk on the 4th Wednesday. Months which have 5 Wednesdays are used for fleet maintenance and no collections are made.
Please refer to the Street Index for which Wednesday of the month is assigned to your Street.
Disposal of bulk waste is a very expensive service provided to residents of the Garbage District. This service is NOT PROVIDED to anyone other than those residents. Contractors who remove bulk trash for profit or as a service to their customers may not dispose of such waste by leaving at curbside. Residents who are contractors may not place any form of solid waste at curbside other than that generated by their personal residence. Every resident of the Garbage District bears the cost of contractor's dumping waste in our Township. Residents who observe illegal dumping, or "carried in" waste being left at the curb, are encouraged to report such activities to the Public Works Department at (609) 371-7152.
Please allow us to remind you of some points to assist us in collecting your bulk items:
- Bulk items may not be placed at curbside before 9 p.m. the night before scheduled pickup and must be at curbside by 7 p.m. the day of pickup. Empty containers after pick-up has occurred must be removed from curbside by 9 p.m. the day of collection.
- Material must be free from sharp jagged edges.
- Wood must be free from exposed nails. Please remove all nails or hammer nails bending back into wood piece so that point is not exposed.
- Bulk materials should be from residential disposal ONLY!
- Bulk items should be limited to 2 piles no larger than 6' by 4' to ensure completion of pick-up areas for all residents!
- Small brush is that which is 3 feet or shorter in length, and less than 2 inches in diameter. Brush must be tied in bundles, using twine, strips of rags, or rope; no undersized string please! Bundles should be limited to 50 pounds or lighter. No loose brush will be picked up.
Should any resident experience special circumstances such as moving into or out of the Township and require a special pick-up, please call the direct number for Public Works (609) 371-7152 to make arrangements. We will do our best to accommodate you! BULK WASTE CAN ONLY BE PICKED UP ON THE ASSIGNED WEDNESDAY FOR EACH STREET. PLEASE CHECK THE SCHEDULE BEFORE PLACING BULK AT CURBSIDE.