Laws Pertaining to the Use/Operation of Bicycles In East Windsor Township
- Every bicycle operated between the hours of sundown and sunrise shall have certain equipment in working order:
- A white light on the front on the front of the bike emitting a light visible from a distance of 500 feet.
- A red light or reflector on the rear visible from a distance of 500 feet.
- All bicycles shall be registered with the police department prior to being used on Township streets.
- A registration sticker will be supplied by the police department and shall be applied to the bicycle.
- Every bicycle shall be equipped with a bell or other device capable of sounding an audible warning signal for a distance of 100 feet.
- No person shall ride a bicycle on an area except those marked or otherwise designated specifically for bicycle riding.
- No person shall leave a bicycle lying on the ground or paving or set against trees, or in any place or position where other persons may trip over or be injured by them.
- No person may leave a bicycle in a place other than a bicycle rack when such is provided and there is space available.
Laws Pertaining to the Use/Operation of Bicycles In State of New Jersey
- Every bicycle in use at night time shall be equipped with a lamp on the front that shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front, and with a lamp on the rear that shall emit a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
- Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle. Regulations applicable to bicycles shall apply whenever a bicycle is operated upon a highway or path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
- All persons riding a bicycle shall be responsible for obeying all traffic regulations that apply to the operators of motor vehicles.
- The operator of a bicycle, when riding upon a roadway shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.
- Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practical, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle, or a vehicle traveling in the same direction. Persons riding a bicycle shall not ride more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise shall ride in single file.
- A person under 17 years of age shall not operate, or ride upon a bicycle as a passenger, unless that person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened helmet which meets the standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). A parent or legal guardian of the person may be fined for the first and each subsequent offense.